[Gnso-newgtld-wg] comments and apologies

Vanda Scartezini vanda at scartezini.org
Mon Jun 11 14:22:18 UTC 2018

Dear friends
Here my comments
Section1.8
Recommendations 3 – though I am totally in favor to respect intellectual property, this is quite difficult to follow and enforcement since Trade Mark is territorial.
International recognized brands have no problem to enter clearing houses, but it is not yet clear to me how local brands, trying to enter into the clearing house and found another brand similar to them from another country, as legitimate as its own, can really be protected…
We had no case till now, since we had very few organization in the whole South Hemisphere entering into 2012 bid. But now, with more knowledge spread, this will change…. Just a comment. We cannot change WIPO’s rules.
Recommendation 12 – I believe we need to define better Rules of Proceedings and not only the Process itself. Remembering that for 2012 was defined that “community interested strings” should collected worldwide letter of support from those communities the string will be set for. In the dispute time this had no real value (though had cost a lot of money) since the bid was set  without ask the participants to prove they had make similar collection of support. If the Rules of Proceeding were not very clear and be followed, the dispute will not be fair.

Section 1.3 –
Besides the inclusion of topics from Final Report of Competition, Consumer Trust & Choice  I have no other comment to add.

Here my Apologies for not be able to attend the call this week.
Best regards and successful meeting!

Vanda Scartezini
Polo Consultores Associados
Av. Paulista 1159, cj 1004