[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed agenda - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 12 June 2018 at 03:00 UTC

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Jun 11 23:47:13 UTC 2018

Thank you Rubens.  The ICANN language says the TLD will operate the registry in accordance with its own commitments, statements of intent and business plans as expressed in the application.  The language of the Initial Report would have to be modified to be accurate since it says that the GAC advised ICANN to come up with "a mechanism to incorporate" these elements. That would obviously be beyond ICANN's mission and the draft misstates the GAC Advice.

Suggest the following modification:

In October 2012, the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) provided

> advice to the ICANN Board of Directors of ICANN that it should come up

> with a mechanism to require an applicant to  incorporate into its registry agreements by reference certain commitments, business plans,

> registration restrictions, additional rights protection mechanisms and

> other objectives specified in the application as filed such that these commitments could

> be overseen by ICANN’s compliance department.

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office

520.879.4725 fax