[Gnso-newgtld-wg] CW Comment on objections. Section 1.8.1 Proposed agenda - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 14 June 2018 at 20:00 UTC

lists@christopherwilkinson.eu Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Thu Jun 14 15:46:52 UTC 2018

Good afternoon:

Section 1.8 Dispute Proceedings

Christopher Wilkinson, 14 June 2018

1.8.1. Objections

In the light of the extensive discussion of objections, their 2012 antecedents, their procedures and costs, allow me to mention that the authorization/non-objection requirements for applications are also being discussed in Work Track 5 (Geographical Names).

Several WT5 Members (including myself among others) have argued that the 2012 objection procedures are quite inappropriate for Geographical Names. In this context, I consider that all applications for geographical names should benefit from appropriate prior approval or non-objection from the competent community or public authority.

The discussion in Section 1.8.1  (pp. 4-18) goes a long way towards reconfirming this point of view. ICANN cannot expect that all the government and local authorities, world-wide, together with related communities, would have the resources to monitor the whole new gTLD process in order to 'catch' each and every application that might concern their interests and eventual rights, including those for 'non-geographical' use.

The procedures, restrictions and high costs of objections, as described, are inappropriate when applied to applications for geographical names. All such applications should benefit from prior endorsement by the stakeholders most directly concerned.

This pre-condition should also normally obviate the need for subsequent objection procedures.

Regards

Christopher Wilkinson