[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed agenda - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 18 June 2018 at 15:00 UTC

lists@christopherwilkinson.eu Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Mon Jun 18 11:58:11 UTC 2018

Phil - The only hint we have to date is that, apparently for security reasons, a rate of about 1000 new TLDs per year would be manageable.

1.  Personally, I find that figure rather high notably because of the lead times required between an application and a final delegation in the Root.  I have asked on the Calls for an indication from the ICANN staff as to how many new applications, per month, they can handle in terms of the economic and technical due diligence that I assume would be required. We have not yet had a response.

2.  I have also proposed that in policy terms the issue should be disaggregated into more manageable batches of categories, since many of the relevant parameters will be distinct. The obvious categories would be Brands, Geographical Names, Geographical Indications and IDNs (by script). There could be other re-groupiings of applications such as undeserved regions and Communities.
Policy would of course determine priorities in time.

These options have not yet been discussed by the Work Tracks concerned.

Regards

Christopher