[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Section 1.5.5.c &f - Terms & Conditions - Covenant Not to Sue

Rosette, Kristina rosettek at amazon.com
Tue Jun 19 15:43:56 UTC 2018

All,

I'm writing to request changes in Section 1.5.5.c, e and f of the report so that it is consistent with and reflects WT(2) discussions. (Section accessible at https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/f.+Report+Drafting?preview=/69272887/84218145/Section%201.5%20Application%20Submission_28Apr2018.docx)

During the 18 January 2018 WT call discussing this issue, I opposed the covenant not to sue - regardless of any appeal mechanism. Based on statements by the WG Co-Chairs (one verbally and one in chat), I understood that the report would reflect that opposition. I also understood based on statements in chat that we would seek public comment on the covenant not to sue - independent of any appeals mechanism - in the Initial Report. Moreover, the discussion was clear that, for even those WT members who supported an appeals mechanism, that support is dependent on the efficacy of the appeals mechanism.  The current draft of the report doesn't reflect either of these points (c and f), and doesn't seek public comment on either of them, either (e).  I believe these inadvertent omissions need to be corrected.

I apologize for the timing of this request, but didn't realize until yesterday's meeting that the text I was looking for was in Section 1.5 (and not Section 1.8)

Kristina

Kristina Rosette
Senior Corporate Counsel, IP - Domains
rosettek at amazon.com<mailto:rosettek at amazon.com> | 703.407.1354