[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Short Update from the Leadership Team

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Wed Jun 20 04:36:58 UTC 2018

All,

As promised, we just got off of a call with the full Working Group Leadership team consisting of the 2 Co-Chairs, the 5 of the 7 Work Track Co-Leads for Work Tracks 1-4, one of the Co-Leads from Work Track 5, our 3 ICANN Policy support staff and 1 of our 2 Council Liaisons.  We have taken all of the recent concerns expressed on the mailing list and have come up with the following plan.  Please note that this is high level at this point since we just got off the call, and more details will follow.

  1.  In the next few hours you will see the redlines to each of the Sections that we have discussed over the past few months.  The should include the comments that were made either by e-mail or on the calls about those sections.  The revisions have all been reviewed by the Work Track Leaders as well as by Cheryl and I.  As we discussed, there were a number of comments that were submitted by Working Group members that related to the substance of the issues as opposed to comments related to clarity of the substance, issues for community input, or whether the sections accurately reflected the discussions that took place over the past 1.5 years.  Those comments are NOT being ignored.  Rather, they will be included with all of the public comments that come in from the community on the Initial Report.

  1.  Because the redlines are only going out now, instead of "locking down" the document on June 20th, we are keeping the document open for comments on the redlines until Friday, June 29th.   Comments on the redlines should not be to change the substance of the Initial Report, but only whether the Leadership Team and ICANN staff have captured all of the comments that have been received by Working Group members over the past few months on the clarity of the substance, issues for community input and whether the sections accurate reflected the discussions in the Work Tracks.

  1.  In addition, we have decided to discuss the Initial Report and any issues at ICANN during the scheduled 3rd session of the SubPro Working Group.  More specifically, this will be discussed on Thursday, June 28, 2018 at 13:30 - 15:00 Local Panama Time.  This will replace our discussion on the CCT-RT Report.

  *   Although we will be having a brief discussion about the Initial Report and next steps in the first session on Monday, June 25, 2018 starting at 9:00 am local time in Panama, this session will not be used to discuss the redlines.  The reason we are not discussing the redlines at the first session is two-fold.  First, having it at the last session gives you all more time to review the redlines.  Second, there are some groups like the ALAC and the Registries that have cancelled or at least modified their meeting on Monday so that members could attend our SubPro sessions.  We believe a better use of that time will be for talking about the topics that we were previously scheduled to discuss.  To not stick to that original agenda would be unfair to those that had planned to attend those sessions to discuss the other topics (Regardless of how much some would like to discuss the Initial Report).

  1.  We will describe the ICANN agenda in more detail in a subsequent note, but at a high level, the plan for the first two sessions on Monday, June 25 at 9:00am local time to 10:15 am local time; then again at 10:30 am local time to 12:00 pm local time) is to discuss an update on where we are, a roadmap on where we go from here, a level set on how we will measure consensus, the role of supplemental report (and when they are needed), and tools to clear up any potential logjams.  We will then get into some substantive discussions on topics that we already know have not been addressed in the Initial Report including things like (a) Auctions of Last Resort to resolve contention sets, (b) the use of Private Auctions by parties to avoid Auctions of Last Resort, (c) Change Requests to applications - When should they be allowed and when should they not, (d) other topics to be spelled out in the next 24-48 hours.  Other than the initial update on where we are, the plan is to make both sessions as interactive as possible given the limitations of Adobe Connect and having remote participants.

As always, please do not hesitate to reach out to either Cheryl or myself, or for that matter anyone on the Leadership Team, if you have any questions.

Best regards,

Cheryl Landon-Orr
Jeff Neuman
SubPro Co-Chairs