[Gnso-newgtld-wg] [Ext] RE: - Initial Report Excerpts Red-lines and Updated Preamble

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Thu Jun 21 22:19:56 UTC 2018

Dear Anne, Jorge, all,

As Jeff noted, compiling a verbatim list of preliminary recommendations, options, and questions is one of the last things we envision doing, to avoid having to make any changes in multiple places.

However, we will begin integrating the excerpts (i.e., the substantive sections we have been discussing the last few months) into the Initial Report template. While on the surface, this might seem like a simple copy-paste exercise, the Initial Report template and excerpts have some formatting differences that we would prefer to resolve. We would also like to do a full review of the report, so that to the extent possible, we are able to normalize the way terms are phrased (e.g., Applicant Guidebook versus AGB), capitalization is consistent, and other things that seek to increase the overall consistency of the document. As Jeff stressed, these changes are exclusively administrative, but staff believes they are important to the overall quality of the work product. These changes take time and with ICANN62 rapidly approaching, we are hesitant to provide a precise timeline. We understand the preference to have a single, complete product, but if you can identify how it will substantively affect your review, perhaps there is something we can do to mitigate those concerns.

Best,
Steve