[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Actions/Discussion Notes: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG 21 May 2018

lists@christopherwilkinson.eu Wilkinson lists at christopherwilkinson.eu
Mon May 21 19:38:37 UTC 2018

Good evening:

I apologise for missing today's call. I expect to join the call on 29 May.
Thankyou for the Action Items and Notes. A few brief comments:

Under Notes 2. The co-Chairs are aware of my reservations about the restriction on substantive discussions.
When I join a PDP WG Call it is precisely to discuss the proposed outcome of the WTs of which I am NOT a member.

Under Section 1.5 Caveat. I note that the issue of tax havens has been recognised. The jurisdiction of the incorporation of a Registry IS an issue, that may well give rise to restrictive conditions.

-  at the present time when several international entities and governments are concerned with tax fraud and tax evasion, ICANN's image would not be enhanced should we be seen to be facilitating tax evasion.

-  regarding Geographical Names, I have already pointed out to WT5 that one might expect that public authorities issuing letters of non-objection (or similar) would normally require incorporation within their jurisdiction.

Under Section 1.10.2 Registrar Non-Discrimination: I would enter a general reservation about the neutrality of Registrars among Registries under current conditions of 'vertical integration'. I shall return to this issue when we have had an opportunity to see the CCT-RT final report.

Regards

CW