[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 08 October 2018

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Fri Nov 16 03:20:36 UTC 2018

Thanks Jim for reminding me.

The text I sent to the two Auction Providers that I am aware of (Right of the Dot and Applicant Auctions) at the beginning of October is below.  One other point is that at the time we sent this note, we had only really heard from those opposing the private auctions from the discussions in Panama and the first conference call on the subject.

One of the providers has responded and wants to speak with us, but the other has not responded at all.  We have an action item to set up some time with the one that has responded and the full working group to give their feedback.

Dear _______________________,

As you know, I co-chair ICANN’s Generic Names Supporting Organization’s Policy Development Process Working Group on Subsequent Procedures for the introduction of future top-level domains.  (“SubPro” for short).

The GNSO's New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Working Group (WG), which was chartered by the GNSO Council to conduct a Policy Development Process (PDP), is seeking to determine what, if any, changes may need to be made to the existing Introduction of New Generic Top-Level Domains<https://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/new-gtlds/pdp-dec05-fr-parta-08aug07.htm> policy recommendations from 8 August 2007 as well as the final Applicant Guidebook<https://newgtlds.icann.org/en/applicants/agb> dated June 2012. As the original policy recommendations as adopted by the GNSO Council and ICANN Board have "been designed to produce systemized and ongoing mechanisms for applicants to propose new top-level domains", those policy recommendations remain in place for subsequent rounds of the New gTLD Program unless the GNSO Council would decide to modify those policy recommendations via a policy development process. The PDP WG created 5 Work Tracks that are responsible for considering the subjects within its charter. The PDP Working Group sought community input through two community comment periods. The Working Group has produced its Initial Report, which includes material from the full Working Group and Work Tracks 1-4. Work Track 5, focused on Geographic Names at the Top-Level, was established later than the other Work Tracks and will produce a separate Initial Report.

The Initial Report<https://www.icann.org/public-comments/gtld-subsequent-procedures-initial-2018-07-03-en> was posted for public comment in late July and the comment period closed at the end of September.  While putting together the Initial Report, we recognized that one of the topics that we did not cover was the role of private auctions in the resolution of contention sets.   Over the past several weeks, the Working Group has been discussing whether private resolution of contention sets, and private auctions specifically, should be allowed in subsequent new gTLD rounds.  Many members of the community have expressed concerns that because there were a number of applicants that substantially financially benefitted from losing contention sets, that the subsequent rounds would lead to a number of applicants applying for TLDs with the sole purpose of losing to either keep those proceeds or use those proceeds to fund other applications.  Those members of the Working Group are also afraid that this may provide a significant advantage to those with the resources to take advantage of the rules as opposed to finding those applicants that truly desire to use the TLDs to further the public interest.

As one of the key TLD Private Auction Providers in the 2012 new gTLD round we were wondering if you would be willing to (a) speak with the Working Group about your experiences, (2) respond to the public comment period on a Supplemental Initial Report (a draft of which is included in this e-mail), and (3) help us collect data on the 2012 new gTLD round.   Please note that the attached Supplemental Initial Report is still under discussion with the Working Group and will nor be released for public comment until approximately October 12th.   It is not confidential as all documents are posted on our community wiki<https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/New+gTLD+Subsequent+Procedures+PDP+Home>, but it has not been generally released to the public.

We understand that there were strict rules of confidentiality were imposed on all the parties to the private auctions from the 2012 new gTLD round, but any data that you could provide us would be extremely helpful.  Even if the data is anonymized, understanding the true impact of private auctions on the resolving contention sets is critical.  In addition, we would be interested in understanding what your thoughts are on whether private auctions should be allowed moving forward, what the benefits are of private auctions, and what, if any, improvements could be made if they were allowed.

Please let us know if you are available in the next week or so to discuss this project with us and what your availability might be to speak with the Working Group.

Jeff Neuman
Senior Vice President

Com Laude | Valideus
1751 Pinnacle Drive
Suite 600, McLean
VA 22102, USA

D: +1.703.635.7514
T: +44 (0) 20 7421 8250
E: jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
www.comlaude.com<http://www.comlaude.com>

Liability cannot be accepted for statements made which are clearly the sender’s own and not made on behalf of Com Laude USA or Valideus USA. This message is intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to us, and immediately and permanently delete it. Do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment.Com Laude USA and Valideus are trading names of Consonum, Inc.