[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Resend -RE: Update on Seeking SO/AC/C "liaisons"

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 03:13:14 UTC 2018

As drafted, this (still) seems to assume that each "Group" will have a
(single) opinion or position.  This is not unheard, of course, but it is
also not assumed in the PDP process nor in our Charter.  I sympathize with
the difficulty of the Co-Chair's task in trying to identify consensus
positions with broad support,while avoiding results with highly imbalanced
support (or, at its most extreme version, actual "capture").

I'm afraid that this proposal drains the consensus-building and
consensus-calling process of all subtlety and pushes us toward party
politics and voting.

It also dampens the participation of individuals in a group who may have
varying opinions, which would be a shame, since this can be a fruitful
source for generating better ideas.

Even if we recognize that some "Groups" may not have a "position," the
rewards for having a Group position will become too great, since a Group
without position will essentially have no voice.  Of course, it would have
the voices of its individual members, but these voices become muted in this
process.

There may still be merit in the idea of a liaison, but the rest of the
proposal -- the assumptions regarding the roles of the Groups vs the
participants  -- leave me concerned.

Best regards,

Greg

Greg