[Gnso-newgtld-wg] FW: AFRALO-AFRICANN statement - ICANN 64 Kobe, Japan

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Tue Apr 9 12:57:10 UTC 2019

Although this theme wasn't in WT4 or SGB, I'll explicitly take my leadership hat off just in case.

That said, I don't see the community being able to settle on a priority round. Even though Geos and Brands, the ones that asked for this so far, were perceived as the most interesting use cases of the 2012 round, and while I believe it's likely it will be the case again in the next procedure, there are so many potential clashes in the namespace that there will be always someone disgruntled by such priority. One hypothetical would be the association of apple farmers wanting .apple while Apple Computer also wanted .apple*; the AFRALO-AFRICANN letter is yet another example of this.

We need to walk together in this case, and that means allowing every possible applicant or possible objector to have their opportunity in the upcoming procedure. While in product management it's typical to prioritise use cases in lieu
of others, and a geo/brand round looks pretty much like an MVP (Minimum Viable Product) to me, I don't see how we would bring everyone onboard on this.

Rubens

* Yes, I know only Apple Computer applied in 2012 and they now own .apple