[Gnso-newgtld-wg] FW: AFRALO-AFRICANN statement - ICANN 64 Kobe, Japan

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at team.neustar
Tue Apr 9 17:58:13 UTC 2019

Thanks Jeff for forwarding the statement from AFRALO-AFRICANN

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank AFRALO-AFRICANN for their statement and hope that we have an opportunity to further discuss as part of the discussion in the Subsequent Procedures WG. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some issues raised in the statement as I believe there might be some misunderstanding about Neustar’s intention in publishing the proposal. For those not familiar with the Neustar proposal being referred to, an outline was provided in a CircleID article posted prior to the ICANN Barcelona meeting:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20181014_new_tld_subsequent_procedures_a_proposed_model_to_move_forward/ and the full text of our proposal was provided in Neustar’s comments to the Initial Report, specifically in response to 2.2.3 Applications Assessed in Rounds (see attached).

I have been an active member of the Subsequent Procedures PDP WG, representing Neustar, since the WG was established. The proposal being referred to in the AFRALO/AfrICANN statement was developed by Neustar in the context of a number of discussions that have taken place within the WG over some period of time and was provided in response to a number of questions posed in Section 2.2.3 of the Initial Report that was published for public comment. Our proposal is an input to the policy development process and is intended to generate discussion within the WG: it is not intended to circumvent the process nor is it an “ …. attempt to go beyond the Working Group Charter to engage in an activity that interferes with or impedes an objective consideration by the ICANN Board of the final report of the new gTLD Subsequent Procedure PDP Working Group.”

We spent quite a bit of time at Neustar discussing this topic and we believe that our proposal would address the issue of pent up demand (which is the problem the WG is looking to solve) in a deliberate way and provide a number of other benefits as well, such as:

·         Enable the ICANN Board to deliver on its commitments to introduce the next application window "as expeditiously as possible";

·         Provide predictability and certainty for potential applicants; and Reduce the risk of excessive demand by spreading applications over three distinct phases;

·         Allow the community to finalize the prerequisite policy and other work efforts in accordance with the phased application process;

·         Provide ICANN org with a process that would allow them to develop the requisite systems and processes over time rather than needing everything in place on a single date; and

·         Reduce the resourcing impact on ICANN staff and third-party vendors by not undertaking the phases concurrently.

The timeline we provided was illustrative and was not intended to “… give the feeling of pressure on the community and the ICANN Board of Directors, pushing them to override the prescribed PDP process and timeline.”  The ICANN Board has been clear that this is a community process, and to that end, Neustar supports the process and is actively engaged.

That said, I do acknowledge, that representatives from Neustar, myself included, have raised concerns about the time that has elapsed since the closure of the last application window in 2012. We do believe that the community has an obligation to be responsive to our policy decisions of the past and when the Board passes a resolution<https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2012-02-07-en> (on 7 February 2012) that ICANN is committed to opening a second application window for the New gTLD Program "as expeditiously as possible" that we work together in good faith to make that happen.

I once again thank AFRALO/AfrICANN for their statement and I am happy to answer any questions people may have about our proposal.

Donna

Donna Austin
Neustar, Inc. / Senior Policy Manager, Registry Solutions
Mobile: +1 310 890 9655
donna.austin at team.neustar<mailto:donna.austin at team.neustar> / Website: home.neustar<http://www.home.neustar/>

Follow Neustar: LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/5349> / Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/neustar>
Reduce your environmental footprint. Print only if necessary.
The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this email message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.