[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 30 April 2019

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Apr 30 22:29:24 UTC 2019

Jeff, Anne and All

below, part of the problem here is that an IRT does not define its own
policy issues.  Pre-launch IRTs are expressly not allowed to do that and
now, thanks to  your work Anne, there are ways to enforce against overreach.

But the Standing IRT or the Post-Launch IRT is being designed expressly
to handle unforeseen issues from soup to nuts -- and that's a problem
from a structural and procedural perspective. In Round 1, unanticipated
issues dotted New gTLD landscape: a flood of GAC warnings, digital
archery, voluntary commitments being thrown into contracts without
review, and more.  Many of these issues required policy decisions. As we
discussed and confirmed last night, a standing IRT or a post-launch IRT
can't make policy.

This leaves open the larger question of what issues would fall under the
IRT(s) and how the policy issues will be identified, analyzed, assessed
and handled?

Some more specific questions come to mind:

1) How do we create a Gateway -- a group which screens incoming issues
for whether they are policy or not?  We have to be very careful here.
This group must include members of the GNSO Council, the group charged
with oversight of the policy policy.

2) If the issues/newly raised questions /are policy /-- what do we do
next?  This group cannot be the Standing IRT.  Who will it be and how
will they work?  Bundling is likely to play a role here, as is public
comment, GNSO Council and Board oversight.

3) If the issues/newly raised questions /are procedural /- what do we
do?  Who makes these decisions? How to we ensure that those communities
who are generally underrepresented in IRTs have the opportunity to
provide input, concerns and oversight?  As noted in the comments of the
Registries, there may be applicants who have interested in these
decisions who are not part of the multistakeholder process.  So too,
there will be registrant groups and other communities -- with direct
interest in these decisions who are not part of the multistakeholder
process. How do we reach them and bring in their issues, concerns and
expertise?

Best, Kathy