[Gnso-newgtld-wg] - Specification 13

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Thu Aug 15 00:32:10 UTC 2019

While I respectfully disagree with you on your first point, Kurt (I think as between a “dictionary” and “brand” definition of a term, most customers first expect a TLD to represent a brand – if you ask a random person on the street what they’d find if they searched directory.apple they’d say “a list of iPhone retailers” not “a list of orchards.”), I do agree with your second.  I think there is so much we could do with good code of conduct exemptions -  and your examples are good ones.  Once we break away from the idea that every domain name is one the public should get to buy (or even would want to), we open our eyes to everything else we can use the space for.

Best,

Kristine