[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 15 July 2019

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Mon Jul 15 17:09:22 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Good meeting today -- important subjects! I was asked to provide some
wording to reflect in 2.3.3 High level agreement that the fairness and
balance of the Applicant Guidebook continues in this area.  I have done
so below:

·      + Most commenters agreed that it would be helpful to provide
additional implementation guidance in relation to protecting applicant
freedom of expression rights.

·       + Such guidance for applicant freedom of expression rights does
not displace or replace the fairness and balance protections for
“generally accepted legal norms of morality and public order that are
recognized under principles of international law” and other community
rights and legal rights as recognized in the 2012 Applicant Guidebook.

Best, Kathy

On 7/15/2019 12:50 PM, Julie Hedlund wrote:

> Dear Working Group members,
>
> Please see below the notes from the meeting today, 15 July 2019.
> */These high-level notes are designed to help WG members navigate
> through the content of the call and are not a substitute for the
> recording, transcript, or the chat,/* which will be posted at:
> https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/2019-07-15+New+gTLD+Subsequent+Procedures+PDP.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Julie
>
> Julie Hedlund, Policy Director
>
> *Notes and Action Items:*
>
> **
>
> *Action Items:*
>
> ACTION ITEM 1: Applicant Freedom of Expression - Input on
> Implementation Guidelines - LRO:  Work on language for the high-level
> agreement to reflect fairness and balance.
>
> ACTION ITEM 2: Universal Acceptance: Rewrite the high-level agreement
> text.
>
> *Notes:*
>
> 1. Updates to Statements of Interest (SOIs): Kathy Kleiman is now on
> the faculty of American University Law School.
>
> 2. Review of summary document: (continued):
>
> a. Applicant Freedom of Expression
> (https://docs.google.com/document/d/15rwviHM6AYtqDqyB6_5Yij2dTL6iuou8z7A32yzc7sE/edit?usp=sharing)
> – start at Input on Implementation Guidelines – General, top of page 10;
>
> -- From last week: It seemed that most commenters is that we should
> continue the policy that was approved in 2008 by the ICANN Board, but
> that we needed to try in implementation guidance more specific with
> respect to how that consideration should take place.
>
> -- It’s one thing to say that Freedom of Expression should be
> considered, but another to put that into practice.  Give more concrete
> guidance in the AGB wherever possible.
>
> 1) Input on Implementation Guidelines - General
>
> -- ICANN Org: Be as specific as possible.
>
> -- Provide practical examples to evaluators.
>
> -- Balance with freedom of expression with all users.
>
> -- Not sure we have agreement to change from the 2008 policy approved
> by the ICANN Board.
>
> -- Providing consistency and clarity is a step forward.
>
> -- There are examples where we consider the use or intended use of a
> string in these types of evaluations.
>
> -- Questions: What were the original rules?  What were the problems in
> the 2012 round?  Answer: There were no rules that you couldn’t apply
> for a particular string, but based on evaluation of string
> contention.  Found that there were no clear guidelines and up to the
> independent objector to use his/her analysis, and evaluators based it
> on their own beliefs.  Most of the comments were that to the extent
> possible we need to be more clear and provide more guidance.
>
> 2) Input on Implementation Guidelines - LRO
>
> -- From Kathy Kleiman: Then we must expressly reference the Morality
> and Public Order findings and standards in referencing the new
> Applicant Freedom of Expression.
I don't see material reference
> anywhere in our materials here.
It all has to be balanced