[Gnso-newgtld-wg] FW: Follow up from May 6th and CALL FOR SMALL GROUP

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon May 13 18:33:28 UTC 2019

HI Jeff – It always seemed to me that the “checks and balances” on implementation were the organizations governance powers left to both GNSO Council to raise an issue at any time (GNSO Input) and to take up a policy issue at any time via GNSO Guidance and GNSO EPDP.  The GAC’s mechanism is Consensus Public Policy advice.  In other words, if the GAC thinks an issue which arises in the implementation phase is a policy issue, it takes up that issue and provides Consensus Advise to the Board.

Again I think most post-launch issues that actually ARE implementation and don’t involve policy deliberations will never “cause a stir” and will never need to rise to the GNSO or GAC level.  But you can count on the fact that with proper representation on a Post-Launch Standing IRT, if there is a policy issue involved, it will get visibility as long as the IRT itself is properly constituted.  My view is that adding some broader “Gateway Group” will not be “light and fast” in nature and will just create another hoop to jump through.  The Standing IRT is the appropriate “hoop” itself and it does not have the power to make policy – not at all.  If IRTs have been making policy, it’s because they have not been sufficiently representative or people have not been watching carefully enough what they were doing and then bringing that to GNSO Council.

I think that if you create a new “Gateway Group” to decide what is policy and what is implementation, the whole notion of making implementation decisions “easier and faster” backfires.

We have already added language that states that the GNSO Procedures override anything the Predictability Framework seeks to determine – in the event of any conflict on the determination, any single member of GNSO can step in and have the issue dealt with there.    The TRUE issue at stake for the small group in my mind is the proper composition of the Standing IRT.

Maybe Geo names require separate handling but I am not familiar enough with the issues there to express an opinion on that.  Again, if governments are represented on the Standing IRT, then I think the problem takes care of itself.  I would also include the GNSO Council liaison to the GAC on the Standing IRT.
Anne