[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Use Requirement for 2nd round new gTLDs

Maxim Alzoba m.alzoba at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 12:46:07 UTC 2019

Alex,

What is the problem we are trying to solve?

Currently, a Registry is obliged to execute an RA,
and after that - there are no restrictions on when sunrise is going to happen
(I remind you, that last time due to numerous breaches of timeline from ICANN's side
lots of TLDs were not able to have a sunrise, and it was not their fault, so I do not think that trashing all similar contracts in the
similar circumstances is in a public interest).

Before adding more obligations to Registries, we need to understand cases, where good actors will be formally falling in the bad baskets,
because, ICANN Compliance is guided by the ICANN's reading of the letter of the contract,
and they can not be guided by 'all the good intentions discussed during the PDP life'.

Sincerely Yours,

Maxim Alzoba
Special projects manager,
International Relations Department,