[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Resolving Objection Proceedings with Mandatory PICs

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 1 03:12:28 UTC 2019

I’m familiar with the entities known as the Noncommercial Stakeholder Group
and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, and I’m reasonably confident Kathy
can speak to their views, particularly since EFF is a member of the NCSG
(but perhaps not of this WG, or if so, not particularly active).

I’m not familiar with any entity known as the Public Interest Community.
Indeed I’m pretty sure there is no such monolithic entity. I’m not even
quite sure what the phrase refers, but to the extent I understand it, it is
a diverse group of entities that does not speak with one voice or a single
perspective.

I doubt we can ascribe a single position to the “public interest
community.”  To the extent we try, it makes no sense to lump it in with
NCSG and EFF (and I look skeptically on any attempt to do so). Indeed, I
would expect At Large to have a firmer grasp on this group of entities than
NCSG — particularly since I believe the public interest community (as I try
to understand it) looks primarily to the interests of individual internet
users, as does At Large.

Greg