[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 07 October 2019

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Tue Oct 8 19:15:39 UTC 2019

Thanks Anne.  I can confirm that we will spend time in Montreal discussing what, if anything, needs to go out for public comment.

If you look at all the reconsideration requests, 99% of them were dismissed based on the assertions by the board that ICANN did not violate any existing policies or the Bylaws by relying on decisions made by the evaluators.  If you go back and read them, they all point out that so long as evaluators and panelists followed the proper procedures, that ICANN could not violate the Bylaws or any of ICANN policies by relying on the results.  This is true regardless of whether the decisions by the evaluators or panelists were substantively correct or in line with the Guidebook.  The new Bylaws do not materially fix this.  Sure as a lawyer, you can make an argument that it may….but is that what we want to rely on?

Anne, this was extensively discussed by WT3 and was supported by all of the comments.  I appreciate the fact that you are grappling with these issues now, but we need to hear from the rest of the group as well.

Best regards,

Jeff Neuman
Senior Vice President
Com Laude | Valideus