[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 07 October 2019

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 22 05:53:27 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

During our WG calls in the first week of October 2019, there was some
discussion around the issue of the ALAC's ability to file appeals under the
proposed limited appeals mechanism being contemplated. The issue was also
connected to the ALAC's ability to file certain Objections in Subsequent
Procedures.

My At-Large colleague Alan Greenberg had indicated that we would take the
issue back to ALAC for a response.

I now wish to relay the ALAC's response on the matter of its ability to
file both Limited Public Interest Objections and Community Objections in
Subsequent Procedures, as well as appeals against any DRSP decisions
dismissing the ALAC's filed Objections. The response is as follows:

The ALAC has no funding ability beyond that supplied by ICANN. It is not
feasible for the ALAC to raise funds to finance an appeal (or objection) or
to bear costs under a “loser pays” model if its appeal is unsuccessful.

Any withholding of ICANN funding for the ALAC to file objections and/or
appeals would be tantamount to denying ALAC the ability to fulfill its duty
under the Bylaws as the primary organisational constituency for the voice
and concerns of the individual Internet user.

As to any contemplated limits to the number of appeals or quantum of ICANN
funding to ALAC in light of ICANN budgetary constraints, the ALAC believes
that its ICANN funding must be commensurate with number of applications
received.

The question of standing for the ALAC to file an objection and appeal is
beyond the scope of the Subsequent Procedures PDP WG. It is a question for
the ALAC to consider and the Dispute Resolution Service Provider and
Appeals Arbiter to determine in respect of an objection and appeal,
respectively.

I have also inserted the above response into the relevant working
document referred
to by Steve Chan below.

Olivier Crepin-Leblond and Jonathan Zuck are copied in this email for their
information as Co-Chairs of the At-Large Consolidated Policy WG.

Kind regards,

Justine Chew
ALAC liaison for Subsequent Procedures
-----