[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 07 October 2019

Volker Greimann vgreimann at key-systems.net
Tue Oct 22 11:21:41 UTC 2019

I reviewed the ICANN bylaws and found nothing on a specific role with
regard to new TLD applications. Nothing prevents ALAC from providing
advice wrt any application. But if they want to raise a formal objection
within their mandate and standing, ALAC should be treated like anyone else.

The request for funding based on the number of applications received is
frankly ridiculous as it presumes that a certain percentage of these are
going to be objectionable no matter what.

The role of ALAC in this could be to provide advice to the indepentent
objector, who would then have to consider the advice and either reject
it (don't file) or accept it and file the objection based on on its own
mandate. There is no need for a second independent objector that would
have to be paid for by all applicants and ultimately the internet
community at large...

Volker Greimann

--
Volker A. Greimann
General Counsel and Policy Manager

T: +49 6894 9396901
M: +49 6894 9396851
F: +49 6894 9396851
W: www.key-systems.net

Key-Systems GmbH is a company registered at the local court of
Saarbruecken, Germany with the registration no. HR B 18835
CEO: Alexander Siffrin

Part of the CentralNic Group PLC (LON: CNIC) a company registered in
England and Wales with company number 8576358.