[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Appeals Standard of Review

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Sun Oct 27 09:23:35 UTC 2019

In general, I am comfortable with the standard of review as proposed by
Jeff in his original email of 15 Oct i.e.:

*[Jeff's] personal recommendation is that all appeals except for the
Conflict of Interest appeals have a “Clearly Erroneous” standard.*   *Conflict
of Interests should be reviewed under a De Novo Standard.*

Should an appeals mechanism be proposed (and I can't see why it shouldn't
be) then part of implementation guidance should automatically include
within the RFP/candidate evaluation process, a review of any existing
appeals process & costs offered by a candidate (in addition to evaluation
or objection service); the rationale being that the ICANN Community is
entitled to know and assess if we can rely on a candidate to also handle
appeals without bias. Otherwise clearly, a different arbiter of appeal is
required.

Justine
-----