[Gnso-newgtld-wg] GNSO Council Letter to ICANN Board on NCAP-SubPro Dependencies

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Thu Sep 19 20:17:39 UTC 2019

> Em 19 de set de 2019, à(s) 15:29:000, Aikman-Scalese, Anne <AAikman at lrrc.com> escreveu:
>
> Hi Rubens,
> The condition of the WG agreement to “Initial Report’ with no consensus call was that topics would be fully discussed in the full Working Group. It is therefore inadequate to refer WG members to a Work Track 4 transcript that no one has time to read.  In any case, I was on the Work Track 4 calls when the attached slide was developed by you and there was in fact no detailed discussion of the harms.

Anne,

If it was like you described, then there shouldn't have been work tracks. But note that I also mentioned that the topic in question was also not brought up during WG call. All themes that were brought up were discussed.

> With respect to consensus, I personally believe it’s pretty clear there could be a rough consensus around coordinating with the NCAP so that there is a reasonable new name collision framework to replace the existing Name Collision Framework – running on a parallel track with all the other work that ICANN org has identified (along with Leadership) as needing to be done prior to launch.

No, there could not be. Many comments and positions both in WT4 discussions and public comments contested such position, so this also not available as a consensus option.

> In other words, it seems to me that Leadership should put this out for public comment rather couching the comments as “no consensus”.    This is especially given that Leadership believes the NCAP is in question and is doubtful because many of the public comments assumed it was moving forward.

Putting things where there is no consensus thru infinite public comments won't change the outcome.

> At this point, we still don’t have a proposed list of the issues that do need further public comment but this issue should be on that list.

Considering that the two only recommendations that survived where discussed in both WT4 and public comments, I don't see why.

> Jeff says the WG must consider 2 options:
>
> 1. NCAP moves forward and we have recommendations.  OR
> 2. NCAP does not move forward and the WG has to consider options.   What should they be?

What Jeff said was that we could specify conditionals, not that WG would reconvene when the NCAP outcome is known. This WG and its final report are due much sooner than the NCAP timeline.

Rubens