[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Name Collision Topic [New Subject Line]

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Wed Sep 25 08:55:31 UTC 2019

Thanks Anne and Rubens for this discussion.  I think in moving forward, we may have to tackle the name collision issue with the following in mind:

  1.  We will need to reflect the work we have done in Work Track 4 as well as the comments we received and the discussions/materials we have received to date.  This includes the JAS Final report.
  2.  We should note the Board Resolution which resulted ultimately in the approval of the work described in Phase 1 of the NCAP Study as reported in the Scope of Work published by the NCAP:
     *   Scope: (https://community.icann.org/display/NCAP/NCAP+Working+Documents?preview=/79437474/111387704/Definition%20of%20Name%20Collision%20and%20Scope%20of%20Work%20for%20the%20NCAP.pdf)
     *   Board Resolution:  https://features.icann.org/name-collision-analysis-project-%E2%80%93-first-study
  3.  We should note that there MAY be other phases of the NCAP study and describe those phases.  See https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/79437474/NCAP%20Proposal%20for%20Board%20%28revised%20by%20OCTO%20based%20on%20V2.5BTClean%29%20REDACTED.pdf?api=v2.  But we also have to recognize that that is not a given.  There may or may not ever be a Phase 2 or 3 study.
  4.  In the event that there are other studies, there are recommendations that this Working Group has with respect to things we would like to see studied (eg., a do not apply list, an evaluation testing procedure, etc.).
  5.  In the event that there are no future studies, we will need to see what our group has consensus on (if anything).
  6.  If there is no consensus on anything, then we will need to report on that and ultimately what happened in the last round would be recommended.

Note:  We will also need to see if anything comes from the letter sent from the GNSO Council to the ICANN Board on the dependencies for the next round and if that does have an impact on our recommendations.

Please let me know if you have any issues with my summary.

Best regards,

Jeff Neuman
Senior Vice President
Com Laude | Valideus