[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Resolving Objection Proceedings with Mandatory PICs

Jeff Neuman jeff.neuman at comlaude.com
Fri Sep 27 18:10:11 UTC 2019

As Alan states below, the baseline that we use is how the program was actually implemented as opposed to what was in the 2007/2008 GNSO Policy and/or what was in the Applicant Guidebook.

The one exception is on the issue of closed generics, where the board specifically stated that it was creating a temporary solution and that it wanted policy development on this matter. Therefore, in the event that we cannot find consensus on that subject, we will document the positions taken and at the end of the day it will be up to the board to determine what the baseline is.

With respect to what constitutes high-level agreement, this is a determination that leadership of the working group will have to make. We take this responsibility very seriously and assure you that we are doing everything in our power to be fair and neutral. That said its determination (and ultimately the determination of consensus) is not formulaic, but rather is dependent on a number of factors. We also want to note that the fact that there is only one group, or one individual, or one constituency or stakeholder group that opposes a concept, does not automatically mean that there cannot be high level agreement on the concepts, or elements thereof.

As you will see in a number of comments, many groups oppose an entire concept. However, when you read the comments as a whole you can see that their opposition to the entire concept may be based on one element of many that constitute the subject area. Where that is the case, If we can address that one element, we may still find high-level agreement on the concept as a whole.

Therefore, what is most helpful to us is not a reply that states there is no high-level agreement on a subject. Rather, what is most helpful to us is a reply that states in specificity what elements of the overall concept you believe the group as a whole may not have addressed in a satisfactory manner.   Some of the recent comments have done that, but others have not.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J Neuman
(202) 549-5079
Jeff.Neuman at comlaude.com