[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Closed Generics - WE HAVE THEM ALREADY

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:58:41 UTC 2020

I keep getting calls from people who say they are from Microsoft and making
all sorts of outlandish claims about my Windows being infected and that I
need to stop using my computer and send them bitcoin so they can fix the
problem.  I've always thought that they were referring to my
Windows(R) operating
system.

But Alexander now has me thinking that these helpful people are saying that
the actual fenestration (a/k/a windows) in my apartment are infected!  I
will pursue this line of discussion with them the next time they call and
see if Microsoft is in the business of window installation and repair. If
so, *this flagrant TLD abuse must stop* and we must take it up here and get
ICANN Compliance involved as well.

As Jeff notes, this all assumes that Microsoft are using the .windows TLD
in connection with this heretofore unknown line of business.  If Microsoft
is using .windows in connection with their Windows(R) operating system,
then this is not a generic use and we can all rest easy.

I shall report back.

Best regards,

Greg