[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Consolidated list of materials for WG Member review
McGrady, Paul D.
PMcGrady at taftlaw.com
Sat Aug 15 11:33:43 UTC 2020
I thought a brief note reacting to Jim’s proposed changes make sense. Sorry that I was not able to do so prior to our last call (these comments from Jim came in while I was dropping my son off at university for his freshman year). Even so, these weren’t discussed on our last call, so I think it is still timely in advance of this Monday’s call.
Jim suggests we strike: “and such portions will not be shared or communicated by the Evaluator.” As discussed often on prior calls, this change would set up the disclosure of sensitive information since there is no confidentiality provision in the Terms & Conditions and no ability to enforce it against ICANN who famously works hard at being un-suable. This will have a chilling effect on application submission and is just bad governance. At one point I believe I suggested disclosure to Evaluator and those within ICANN with a “need to know” but that was rejected by a small group of disclosure maximalists. The text must be restored or we need to find a solution other than ICANN being able to spill all the sensitive beans with no consequences.
As for Jim’s other changes, they consist of adding “some of” or “some in”, etc. to a few rationales. I hope that this is being done for historic record capturing and is not a set up to wreck a consensus call. We all have to keep in mind that the status quo is private auctions without all the interference that this compromise imposes. If, at the end of the day, those pushing for interference won’t support the compromise, there is no reason to keep going down this road as the status quo works quite well. So, hopefully, the record keeping is the reason behind Jim’s insertions.
Best to all,
To receive regular COVID-19 updates from Taft, subscribe here<https://www.taftlaw.com/general/subscribe>. For additional resources, visit Taft's COVID-19 Resource Toolkit<https://www.taftlaw.com/general/coronavirus-covid-19-resource-toolkit>.
This message may contain information that is attorney-client privileged, attorney work product or otherwise confidential. If you are not an intended recipient, use and disclosure of this message are prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments.
From: Gnso-newgtld-wg <gnso-newgtld-wg-bounces at icann.org> On Behalf Of Jim Prendergast
Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2020 1:45 PM
To: Steve Chan <steve.chan at icann.org>; gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org
Subject: Re: [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Consolidated list of materials for WG Member review
Attached is my feedback on the draft report on Auctions.
The Galway Strategy Group
From: Gnso-newgtld-wg <gnso-newgtld-wg-bounces at icann.org<mailto:gnso-newgtld-wg-bounces at icann.org>> On Behalf Of Steve Chan
Sent: Friday, August 7, 2020 11:36 AM
To: gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org<mailto:gnso-newgtld-wg at icann.org>
Subject: [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Consolidated list of materials for WG Member review
Dear WG Members,
As discussed and agreed on the 6 August WG call, we have compiled a consolidated list of materials for you all to review in advance of seeking to finalize the draft Final Report for public comment, as early as 13 August 2020.
* For review and feedback no later than Thursday, 13 August (and for discussion on the WG call that same day)
* Draft Final Report Change Analysis (which will be leveraged for the public comment proceeding):https://docs.google.com/document/d/17oV-BTJGtm2Q6w15qxqtsvRZg6PuW9WHGPOG1KgsjZc/edit
* Draft Final Report (minus Predictability Framework and Auctions: Mechanisms of Last Resort & Private Resolution of Contention Sets (Including Private Auction)) attached and available here, on an ongoing basis as the document is updated: https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/g.+Draft+Final+Report
* Per Emily’s email, comments on the Predictability Framework and the one new additional paragraph in the Closed Generics are due 11 August at 23:59 UTC. Review here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1S4aOGxln9b93E_j3eF-dm0E6M8-VYToD8U9AkPlPCS8/edit?usp=sharing. Feedback form is attached.
* NEW! - The new draft report section on Auctions: Mechanisms of Last Resort & Private Resolution of Contention Sets (Including Private Auction), comments due 12 August at 23:59 UTC – https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShY7lL07QrFKIDZybdGceXXvb_hmKGHI3qE9bxgDQOo/edit#<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ShY7lL07QrFKIDZybdGceXXvb_hmKGHI3qE9bxgDQOo/edit#>. Again, feedback form is attached.
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.
Policy Director, GNSO Support
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Los Angeles, CA 90094-2536
Email: steve.chan at icann.org<mailto:steve.chan at icann.org>
Find out more about the GNSO by visiting: https://learn.icann.org/<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__learn.icann.org_&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=o7Auz997kA-HPv9PHJCjFVZw7Pgo8krw4MxfqCwBrIU&e=>
Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__twitter.com_ICANN-5FGNSO&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=kWw4fQPNjw2lVKy1UjTxS2F0BmjEAzaDFWNmsYywbmE&e=>
Transcripts and recordings of GNSO Working Group and Council events are located on the GNSO Master Calendar <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=jLNFXvpu9gNdUeHi-G6sjWNCF9w4_AwhzzUDFZy2elE&s=-L6chFfv0OperrXHHpTF722WnH3FZIutn4cS16IvpOg&e=>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Issues Sheet - SubPro Draft Final Recommendations - Auctions - Prendergast.docx
Size: 21209 bytes
Desc: Issues Sheet - SubPro Draft Final Recommendations - Auctions - Prendergast.docx
More information about the Gnso-newgtld-wg