[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Third Topical E-mail: Applicant Guidebook Question

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Tue Dec 1 15:24:20 UTC 2020

All,

This is the Third topical E-mail on outstanding questions being "put to the list."  The first was on Predictability, and the second on Applicant Support.  This one covers the Applicant Guidebook (Topic 12).

Remember:  We are down to the wire on this, so unless you have a VERY strong objection to these, we will put these into the document.  If you do have a big issue with the responses to these (all of which were previously discussed and in emails over the past 1.5 months), please let us know ASAP.  Only comments that provide the rationale for the objection with proposed replacement text to address the specific outstanding questions will now be considered.

Lets not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

  *   Comment from Swiss Government/BC/Others.  We disagree with the recommendation that the English version of the AGB shall be available up to two months before the other language versions (Recommendations 12.5 and 12.6). We suggest that the AGB should be published at the same time in all languages.

  *   WG Recommendations:

     *   Recommendation 12.5: The English version of the Applicant Guidebook must be issued at least four (4) months prior to the commencement of the applicant submission period
     *   Recommendation 12.6: All other translated versions of the Applicant Guidebook, including in the 6 UN languages, must be available no later than two (2) months prior to the commencement of the application submission period.

  *   Path Forward

     *   Working Group leadership proposes to change the language of Section 12.6 to the following:
        *   Recommendation 12.6: All other translated versions of the Applicant Guidebook, including in the 6 UN languages, must be available as close as possible in time to the English version of the Applicant Guidebook, but in no event later than two (2) months prior to the commencement of the application submission period.
     *   At this point, without being able to get firm commitments from the translation team at ICANN (or their subcontractors), we believe that this is likely the best we can do at a high level.  If the IRT has suggestions on how the time between the versions can be cut down, that would be ideal.

Please have your comments (If any) by no later than 23:59:59 UTC on Thursday, December 3, 2020.

Sincerely,
Jeff & Cheryl
Co-Chairs, SubPro PDP