[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Voluntary PICs/RVCs

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Dec 8 14:38:08 UTC 2020

	Hi All,

	On a larger note, some of us have been working on principles for
Voluntary PICs/RVCs in keeping with the 2016 Bylaws, responsive to
concerns raised by the ICANN Board, and following our informative
conversation with Becky and Avri, our Board liaisons.

	We re-propose the three “Guardrails for Voluntary PICs” and add a
fourth one for our valuable, formative Human Rights Core Value.

	FOUR GUARDRAILS FOR VOLUNTARY PUBLIC INTEREST COMMITMENTS/RVCS
ENTERED INTO BY ICANN AND NEW GTLD REGISTRIES

	1. VOLUNTARY PICS/RVCS CAN ONLY ADDRESS ISSUES WITH DOMAIN NAMES
THEMSELVES, INCLUDING ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA CONSISTENT WITH POINT 2
BELOW—NOT THE CONTENTS OF WEBSITES OR APPS THAT USE DOMAIN NAMES;

	2. COMMITMENTS NEED TO BE CONSISTENT WITH THE HUMAN RIGHTS CORE VALUE
ESTABLISHED IN THE ICANN BYLAWS;

	3. PICS/RVCS SHOULD NOT GIVE REGISTRIES UNBOUNDED DISCRETION TO
SUSPEND DOMAIN NAMES; AND

	4.  PICS/RVCS SHOULD NOT BE USED TO CREATE NEW POLICIES THAT
DIDN’T COME THROUGH ICANN PROCESSES.

	Please note that the Guardrails below are designed to include all
GAC-negotiated settlements (original purpose of voluntary PICs), and
we would be happy to insert a statement if that needs to be set out
even more clearly.

	Best, Kathy