[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Work Plan Changes and Preliminary Information on Consensus Calls
jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Fri Dec 11 05:07:34 UTC 2020
The Leadership Team met a few hours ago to discuss a number of issues including how to get to the finish line……We are nearly there!
As discussed on the last call (about 24 hours ago), we are making the following changes to the Work Plan:
* 11 December 2020
* Latest Redline of Final Report containing changes from all topics discussed to date as well as changes (if any) as a result of the 9 Topical E-mails
* Meeting of the small team on Auctions to see if there can be any recommendations to the Full Working Group
* 14 December 2020
* Discussing (a) Auctions Topic (results if any from small team; (b) Conflicts of Interest, (c) Applicant Freedom of Expression, and (d) Dispute Resolution Procedures after Delegation.
* 15 December 2020
* Comments due to 11 December 2020 Redline
* Release of Any redlines to as a result of the topics discussed on 14 December 2020
* 17 December 2020
* Comments due to December 15 Redline
* Working Group Call (already on your calendars) to close out any last issues
* Content Freeze / Lockdown – Other than if there are any changes to close out last issues, all content is locked down for the Consensus Call
* 22 December 2020
* Final Report is released to the Working Group
* Commencement of Consensus Call (See some notes below)
* 5 January 2020
* Consensus Call Ends
* 6 January 2020
* Designation of Levels of Support by Working Group Leadership Team
* 7 January 2020
* Call of the Working Group to discuss designations, answer questions, and hopefully celebrate a job well done
* 8 January 2020
* Challenges to Designation of Levels of Support by Working Group Leadership Team are due (if any)
* Minority Reports (if any) are due
* 11 January 2020
* Final Report delivered to the Council
* Document Deadline for discussion during January’s GNSO Council Meeting
1. A longer note will follow in the next couple of days on how we will structure the Consensus Call. We strongly recommend that if you were not on the last working group call on 10 December 2020 at 03:00 UTC, please do go back and review at least the first 15-20 minutes of the call. (Link to Call<https://community.icann.org/display/NGSPP/2020-12-07+New+gTLD+Subsequent+Procedures+PDP.>)
1. Although more details will be provided later:
* Leadership will be grouping the Topics into batches for purposes of the Consensus Calls. We will not be voting on each recommendation / implementation guidance separately (as there are several hundred of them).
* We will do our best to only include in the batches the lesser controversial topics; stated differently, Leadership has a sense of which sections should be supported by either full consensus or (rough) consensus. Of course we could always be wrong, but we will do our best.
i. If there is a batch that contains a part that you do not support, then in the Consensus Call, we will ask you specifically which element or elements do you not support. In other words, if we grouped topics 1,2 and 3 together and you indicate that you do not support the batch, you will be asked to specify which of the Topics you do not support, and which element(s) within that topic you do not support. We will assume that the topics / elements you do not list are ones that you would support. So being specific will be important.
* Topics where we can already foresee that there will be a difference of opinion (eg., Closed Generics, Mechanisms of Last Resort), we will make sure we have those topics in the Consensus Call on their own (i.e., not in batches with other topics).
* All expressions of support / non support during the Consensus Call MUST be submitted through the formal mailing list. We will not be counting any responses to the Consensus Call that are not submitted on the list. It is critical that all of the information is on the record and documented.
* The Consensus Call is NOT A VOTE – Leadership will not be determining levels of support based on the quantity of responses, but will take into consideration other factors such as the groups with whom an individual associates, etc.
* We will be following Section 3.6 of the Working Group Guidelines (https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/annex-1-gnso-wg-guidelines-24oct19-en.pdf).
1. Minority Reports are due just 2 days after the designation of Levels of Consensus. We know that is not a lot of time. However, given that we have had a draft final report, comments to the draft final report, extensive discussions of those comments of the draft final report, and you have seen several redlines already, we believe that if you disagree with the way the group is heading, you should pretty much know that now. There is no reason to wait until the designations of levels of support to start drafting. In fact, I am told that the ALAC has already been working on a minority report to certain topics for some time now. Bottom Line – you can start working on any minority report now. The worst thing that will happen is that you draft your report and there is a consensus call surprise where you find out you may not be in the minority and you decide not to submit the statement 😊
1. We are nearly there!!!!!!!!!
Your humble Leadership Team,
Cheryl and Jeff – Co-Chairs
With very special thanks to Martin, Annabeth, Robin and Flip who have been participating in Leadership calls for many months and providing valuable insight & of course to Steve, Emily and Julie, without whom, none of this would be possible
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Gnso-newgtld-wg