[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Review Revised Final Report - DUE Tuesday 15 December

Justine Chew justine.chew at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 01:25:22 UTC 2020

Sure, Jeff.

To begin with, the Criterion 1-A refers to a requisite "awareness *and*
recognition" *among its members*, and I need to point out that this
*duality* is what still concerns me as being an unreasonable barrier. My
reading of the way the EIU panelist(s) evaluated this criterion is that the
applicant must have been able to provide evidence of *both* awareness and
recognition among its members; simply "proving" one or the other was not
enough to score a point.

In my opinion, the point that Jamie made on reciprocal recognition (see
below) applies equally to the reciprocal awareness requirement.

"*In other words, it is impractical to ignore the fact that members of the
gay community exist in countries where being gay is illegal, but it is also
impractical to suggest that a community application for that community
should be penalized in scoring because a limited segment of that community
is unable to voice their support or acknowledge reciprocal recognition
publicly because of repressive law*. ........* if circumstances prevent any
portion of the community members from complying with the “reciprocal
recognition” requirement*..."

In other words, the circumstances preventing community members from
complying with the recognition requirement will also impair the measurement
of awareness among community members.

The recognition required could be established by way of requiring
consideration of the views of the relevant community-related experts but
what about the requisite awareness?

There could be other circumstances where measuring awareness might present
difficulties, *depending on how an applicant described its community
members*. Leaving aside the element of recognition, as an eg. for an
application for a TLD that is targeted at or for the benefit of infants, it
is clear that infants are not likely to present awareness of a "community
of infants", such awareness would be more ably reflected by awareness of
parents or legal guardians who may not strictly be members of the
community. And even if parents or legal guardians were written up as part
of the community, would the lack of awareness by the infants themselves
prejudice the evaluation for the requisite awareness since the infants
might be seen as making up a large proportion of the community? This could
be remedied by requiring consideration of the views of the relevant
community-related experts, or it may not, we simply can't establish
certainty of that.

The bottom line is, and referring back to my first sentence, I was
attempting to address the "awareness and recognition" duality concern by
proposing something that touches on the awareness element. I would welcome
an alternate approach to how the proposed Implementation Guidance can be
framed to address both angles of recognition and awareness.

Hope that makes sense.

Many thanks,
Justine