[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Response to Alan on "Recommendations" (long note)

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Wed Dec 23 21:11:22 UTC 2020

Alan,

I think the issue here between our view and yours is that you believe our role (as the working group) is limited to just “Consensus Policies” as stated in your email. But the role of the working group is not limited to consensus policies, but rather is “policy development.”  Yes, certain thresholds are required for PDPs to have binding impact on existing contracted parties, but that does not apply here.

I understand your concerns, but those concerns should be addressed by the Council and/or through a process to review and/or change the Guidelines.  But it is not our responsibility to change our way of working in order to address your concerns with the way the Council has treated recommendations in the past.

Our job is to accurate reflect the work of the group.  And that is exactly what we are doing.

I am going to ask that we cut off this discussion and focus on the substance of what is before the group. You all have the final report and are expected to respond to the Consensus call.

Given the incredibly hard work the entire group has done over the many years, i would expect that most of the report should have either Consensus or full Consensus. Also, please make sure you review the comment documents again to see all of the comments that we got to support the language as written or to support the language even if not ideal.  We have tried to address all of the commenters that said they could not support.   All of this is to say that we would expect most items to have Consensus or Strong Support.

Thanks.

Jeff

Best regards,

JJN Solutions