[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposal re Closed Generics

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Thu Feb 20 14:24:57 UTC 2020

I'm in the EPDP meeting, so this will be brief.

I have a REALLY hard time coming up with any viable closed generic
that *I* would view to be truly in the public interest. I used Jeff's
example of .disaster in my proposal (but JUST as an example that has
some traction), but in reality, I think that it is problematic, if
only due to the language point of view ("disaster" is an English word
and not meaningful to many).

I have a very hard time coming up with other examples, but the
overall concept of being in the public interest (world-wide!) points
to such a TLD being used for public good reasons and that is not
normally something associated with for-profit companies. Such
companies may do something that happens to be in the public good, but
it is not their prime motivation.

So the not-for-profit is in my mind a reasonable restriction that
will cull out the requiests that are not likely to have succeeded and
make the overall proposal implementable (sending 100s of applications
to the Board is not viable).

I could have said it must be run by an NGO or IGO whichI think is
also highly likely, but I was going for a minimal restriction and did
not want to outlaw corporate foundations.

Alan