[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Closed generics proposal

Dorrain, Kristine dorraink at amazon.com
Thu Feb 27 02:51:26 UTC 2020

All, I’d like to respectfully request that when we discuss the proposals, we work through the issues I presented below without any preconceived solutions like “all TLDs must be in the public interest.”  I’d like to try to understand folks’ objections to my ideas for how we can allow innovation and technological advancement and to see if my proposals can be modified to resolve those concerns (I suggest a few ideas below). I’ve approached this with an open mind and I would ask that you all do the same.  In Phil’s scenario below, I don’t understand why the members of the British Heart Foundation want a .heart domain? Presumably they have a domain.  Presumably they could get a .BRAND if they didn’t like their .com or .uk domain.  The radical idea that I’m asking you to consider is that ITS NOT ABOUT THE DOMAIN NAME – it’s about the technology and the ideas.

Marc is right.  The Board was hoping the last round would spark innovation, but we tied everyone’s hands before the round began.  Let’s figure out how to give the Board what they want here.

Kristine