[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Deadline 30 June - Comments on Revised Draft Recommendations - Package 6

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Thu Jul 9 02:27:25 UTC 2020

	Hi All,

	On Monday, I objected to the deletions of words that made Section
2.7.3 (Closed Generics) clear and accessible to the larger ICANN
Community.  The words “ban” and “effectively ban” are clear
and accurate; that’s exactly what the Board resolution did in the
first round.  By the rules of our editing, this objection should act
as a bar on the change. We agreed for these “I can’t live with
it” changes that we all agree or they don’t go in– and we have
set aside many fine changes for lack of full agreement.

	Further, we heard from George Sadowsky, then a member of the Board,
that the 2015 Board resolution on Closed Generics is meant to stand
until the GNSO comes up with another policy. If we had any question
about what the Board meant, that’s our answer and we should share
it.

	Finally, I heard (and agree) that the question of default is unclear
to the public. This procedural question is very important for the
public to understand and comment on, and not clear in the current
version.

	I am willing to withdraw my objections if we add further language to
a) clarify the Board resolution and GAC advice, and b) make clear the
additional question of “default” in future rounds. To that end, I
offer the attached language (showing the full edit history of the WG)
with these newly-offered changes. Attached.  Best, Kathy