[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Deadline 30 June - Comments on Revised Draft Recommendations - Package 6

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Thu Jul 9 17:33:31 UTC 2020

Kathy,

Please do not conflate the issue of the co-chairs decision to not include advocacy language in the text with laying out the issues clearly for the public.  Adding terms like “extensive” before the words “public comment” does not add clarity, but rather adds subjectivity.  Your “extensive” is someone else’s “non-extensive”.  Some have argued for example that public comment only included those comments from competitors of the Closed Generic TLD applicants and therefore may have been skewed.  And of course some have argued that the fact that there were dozens of comments does show that it was “extensive”.

The words “ban” and “effective ban” are clearly subjective terms.  Objectively one could say that as a result of the Board’s resolution, Closed Generics were not allowed to proceed in 2012.  But the Board never said that they would never be allowed which is what the term “ban” implies.  That term is defined as “an official or legal prohibition”.  Factually, that is not what the Board did and that is why the language was changed.  To state that it was a ban skews the argument to the position we know you take (and away from those like Paul).  But our job is not to steer the public comment in one way or the other. If that is your definition of not laying out the issues well, then yes, according to that definition, we have not.

You state that our section is “missing so much basic information.”   Can you please explain what basic factual information is missing.  I noticed you listed the strings that were considered by the GAC to be “generic”.  Although we did not list them, we did include a link that cites them.  If we want to list them out as opposed to just a link, great we can do that.

The rationale section lays out the various arguments that have been made in objective terms.  We note that you want to include statements like: “The Working Group heard extensively from those who remain concerned about the monopolization and exploitation of basic industry terms by a single (often dominant) competitor in the field.”  But we believe statements like that are covered in citing the Initial Report which has pages and pages worth of the arguments made both for and against Closed Generics.

Remember, this is NOT the first time we are seeking public comment on Closed Generics.  We got comments on Closed Generics during Community Comment 1, Community Comment 2, and the initial report.  We also got many comments on this topic from the GAC, individual GAC members and members of the At Large.  We extensively reviewed the comments we got from the last round as well.  So although you believe we need to specifically call out the topic of Closed Generics for public input, please note that leadership is not sure that we need that input as we believe it is not likely to yield any results that are different from the previous 4 comment periods that included this topic.

Sorry for the long note, but please stay away from the accusations unless you truly believe that Leadership has done something wrong.  And if you believe that we have, please bring that up to us and/or escalate the issue to Flip, our GNSO Council Liaison.   We are not infallible of course.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Jeff Neuman
JJN Solutions, LLC