[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Latest Version of Compromise Closed Generic Text

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Fri Jul 10 20:15:26 UTC 2020

	Hi Jeff,

	I'm sorry, but the language below is not accurate, and it must be.
There is no way this group can agree to allow Closed Generics outside
the public interest framework required by the GAC in its Advice.
Further, absent our agreement (and the GNSO’s approval), we have not
meet the requirements of the Board's resolution on Closed Generics,
and the bar does not simply "time out."

	I offer the language below as a substitution -- to accurately reflect
the two “Closed Generic” policy requirements before this WG and
the GNSO --  the 2015 Board Resolution AND the GAC Advice.

	No Agreement: The Working Group was unable to come to agreement on a
policy that meets the GAC Advice requirements for “exclusive
registry access for generic strings serving a public interest
goal.”  In keeping with the requirements of the 2015 Board
resolution, as clarified in the Rationale, the GNSO must “inform the
Board on a regular basis with regards to the progress on the issue.”
It has not done so.

	_“The NGPC [ICANN Board New gTLD Program Committee] is also
requesting that the GNSO specifically include the issue of exclusive
registry access for generic strings serving a public interest goal as
part of the policy work it is planning to initiate on subsequent
rounds of the New gTLD Program, and inform the Board on a regular
basis with regards to the progress on the issue. The President and CEO
should provide the GNSO with information needed to support this
request.”
_https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-new-gtld-2015-06-21-en

Accordingly, in the absence of agreement by the Working Group on any
new policy consistent with the GAC advice on public interest goals,
the status quo is that Closed Generics would not be allowed in
subsequent rounds in line the Board’s resolution. The GNSO has not
formulated or approved a policy in accordance with the Board’s
wishes, as stated in the Rationale, and has not reported any progress
to the Board, as requested in the Rationale. Therefore, the Board’s
resolution holds until such a policy is formulated and formally
approved by the GNSO.

Best, Kathy