[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Public interest generic strings - a different approach

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 04:40:58 UTC 2020

George and Alan and all,

I did not read your exchange until after I sent out my email a few minutes
ago.  However, I think I arrived at a conclusion that is broadly aligned
with both your views, though I stop where George starts.  This makes me
feel pretty good (perhaps the greying goatee I've grown during the pandemic
lockdown helped align my worldview).

In any event, I think we could give the multistakeholder model a big win if
we all could drop the competing "all" or "nothing" scenarios and converge
on this path.  We need to dedicate ourselves to driving toward consensus
instead of deterring it. All consensus is compromise, and we can't
reward failure to compromise.  Somehow we need to reward the opposite (and
not just with a once-a-year trophy).  There will at least be psychic
rewards in being amongst those who compromise first, or most, or most
creatively, or most emphatically, or most emphatically.  I bet that if this
crew put its mind to it, and we put consensus above all, we could get this
done quite quickly.

Greg