[Gnso-newgtld-wg] A few additions to yesterday's post re a different approach to public interest closed generic strings.

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon Jul 13 19:21:47 UTC 2020

Dear Jeff,

You wrote:

All of that said, here is my proposal:  We keep the No Agreement section in
the report as we have now and put it out for public comment.  We explain in
the section that we are going to take into consideration comments received
and try once more to see if there is way to figure out a mechanism to
measure whether a generic closed TLD can serve a public interest goal during
the (and after) the draft final report public comment period.

I think we ought to clarify first whether or not closed generic gTLDs are
bound to serve a public interest goal by the new gTLD program. If that was
never clarified: then the GNSO has to do it now (not we in this WG - but by
consensus of the stakeholders).

I guess once we have answered that fundamental question this WG might easily
come up with suggestions: and we can ask the community to weigh in on them.

By simply stating that we have not been able to come up with policy advice:
what do you expect the community to do? They find a magical solution? It
will be the same all over: some assert that there is no public interest
goal, others do.

At bar minimum it must be clarified whether the GNSO stakeholders see the
introduction of closed generic gTLDs as being bound to serve a public
interest goal.

Thanks,

Alexander