[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Applicant Support - Bid Credits, Multiplier concerns

mail@christopherwilkinson.eu CW mail at christopherwilkinson.eu
Wed Jul 15 18:06:20 UTC 2020

Good evening: Thankyou, Christa. Fair points, but to recall my previous contributions…:

1.  If an application is evaluated positively for Application Support, that must then be immune from challenge through contention and auctions. If evaluators confer AS status, then ipso facto, ICANN must work on ensuring that available - by definition - limited resources are NOT expended on unnecessary excursions into contention and auctions.

2.  AS is a rather limited financial benefit. In practice AS beneficiaries will probably require other third party funding. In which case the idea that ICANN would set up an auction to attack an AS application - thus prejudicing the applicant's standing with its third party funding - is inconceivable.

3.  Evaluators should also take into consideration whether an AS application also qualifies for priority as a geographical name and/or as a Community application.

Regards

CW