[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - 20 July at 15:00 UTC

Pruis, Elaine epruis at verisign.com
Mon Jul 20 19:27:40 UTC 2020

Thanks for the notes Julie.
Regarding “-- Seems that ICANN can already refer something to a competition authority if they want to.”
Would someone point to the languages in the ICANN applicant guidebook, new gTLD contract, or bylaws (or whatever other source) that already indicates that ICANN can refer applications or contention resolution outcomes to a competition authority?
Folks on the call made the statement that ICANN already has the ability to refer applications or contention resolution outcomes to a competition authority, but I’d like to see the authoritative language to confirm; especially considering the option is clearly called out in the RSEP text.  We don’t want to make policy on assumptions. If we can’t find supporting documentation, I’ll feel a lot better about subsequent procedures if we clearly outline ICANN’s rights and responsibilities on this issue.
Thanks much

Elaine Pruis
Senior Director Naming Operations and Policy
epruis at verisign.com<mailto:epruis at verisign.com>
703.948.4672
[signature_1324536874]