[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposal for introducing new public interest generic gTLDs

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Tue Jul 21 18:32:48 UTC 2020

Jeff, as Greg noted, since it is a closed TLD, all "registrations"
are owned by the registry, so they are not actually registrations.

In terms of your first question, why not just a restricted open TLD,
you are basically correct.

We went with the premise that in light of GAC advice, the only closed
generics will be ones that are demonstrable serve a public interest
goal. If as you hypothesize, all such public interest closed generics
*COULD* be implemented as open restricted, then there is no need for
closed generics and the PDP recommends that closed generics not be
allowed. Period. End of discussion.

The rational for why one would select our proposal over an open
restricted is that the proposal rules cover all of the objections
that could be raised to an open restricted TLD - such as being based
on an insufficient governing structure for instance. More important,
the registration restrictions would have to be very difficult and
specific on how nth level registrations and extensions are used and
the types of content allowed. I'm not sure there are TLDs with such
restrictions. The closed TLD can set all the rules for how the
overall TLD is use, allocating 2nd level, 3rd level, 4th level, etc.
names as they best suit its purpose. So the "restricted" would be FAR
more than just validating credentials.

Note that in our proposal the first characteristic we are looking for
is TRUST. The proposal is designed to help build public trust in the
TLD. AN open restricted domain MIGHT do that, but it might not.

We were working on the presumption that one of the major concerns was
predictability - that an application not be made that could be shot
down in a multitude of ways and at the very least, subjected to long delays.

So "follow the PICG rules, and the chances of actually being able to
deploy the TLD are much better." And with that comes some conditions
as you note.

But as I started with, if there is no value to what we are proposing,
then perhaps the best path is to simply forbid such closed TLDs.

Alan