[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposal for introducing new public interest generic gTLDs

Alan Greenberg alan.greenberg at mcgill.ca
Wed Jul 22 20:02:39 UTC 2020

A few comments:

At 2020-07-22 09:19 AM, Jeff Neuman wrote:
>A lot to respond to here, but let me try:
>
>Why is this not a Closed TLD Proposal
>    * The Proposal at the very beginning states that it will
> allocate domain space to initial and subsequent partners and other
> relevant entities.  The closest definition we have to a non-brand
> closed TLD is in Specification 11:
>
>Registry Operator of a "Generic String" TLD may not impose
>eligibility criteria for registering names in the TLD that limit
>registrations exclusively to a single person or entity and/or that
>person's or entity's "Affiliates" (as defined in Section 2.9(c) of
>the Registry Agreement).
>
>"Affiliates" are defined in the corporate sense, not in the general
>sense of affiliation.
>
>Section 2.9(c): "For the purposes of this Agreement:  (i)
>"Affiliate" means a person or entity that, directly or indirectly,
>through one or more intermediaries, or in combination with one or
>more other persons or entities, controls, is controlled by, or is
>under common control with, the person or entity specified, and (ii)
>"control" (including the terms "controlled by" and "under common
>control with") means the possession, directly or indirectly, of the
>power to direct or cause the direction of the management or policies
>of a person or entity, whether through the ownership of securities,
>as trustee or executor, by serving as an employee or a member of a
>board of directors or equivalent governing body, by contract, by
>credit arrangement or otherwise."

There are three of references to "registration" or "registrant" in
the document. They are in error. Drafting this document in such a
short time was difficult, and some errors slipped in. To be clear,
the entity which applies for the TLD and operates it is the ONLY
entity that creates 2nd level domains (and possibly 3rd in some
cases). There is no domain registration and no domain registrants.
The reference in Spec 11 3.d is in reference to OPEN Generics.

The operating entity may have partners and the TLD wil have a
governance structure but none of that implies that these partners or
participants in the governance structure are the registrant of record
for those sub-domains.

>This proposal does not meet the definition of closed.  It is more
>akin to a Community TLD or Open Restricted.
>
>    * The proposal also provides for the expansion of the name space
> to include a larger group of organizations.

"include" is a rather vague term. On Facebook, I am
https://www.facebook.com/alan.greenberg.31586. If Facebook had chosen
to have a TLD, I mights have ended up being
https://alan-greenberg-31586.facebook. But that wouldn't make me a
registrant under their TLD any more than I am now, and I would have
no registrant-typ rights to that 2nd level qualifier.

>    * The Operation of the TLD section talks about revenue from fees
> charged for registrations.  I know of no "closed" TLD that charges
> for registrations (because again the Registry Operator is the
> Registrant for all names and wouldn't charge itself).

No, not for "registrations". Dependong on the financial model chosen
by the operator, their could be some fees for participating in the
project, but that is not a registration, and almost certainly not at
the 2nd level. I could make 3rd and higher level modifiers available
on alangreenberg.org, but that would not make those users registrants.

>    * The earthquake example is a good one to show that one would
> rather apply for an "open restricted" .earthquake TLD as opposed to
> a PICGTLD.   If I am the US Geological Survey, I can apply as an
> open restricted TLD and propose all of the same rules with respect
> to second level registrations and not have any of the strict
> requirements in the proposal (Council, restriction on transfer,
> ICANN Board approval, etc.).  Because this proposal provides no
> benefit (eg., priority in contention), there is NO reason to elect
> being a PICGTLD.
>
>Response to Alan:
>    * In the above example where the US geological Survey applies
> for .earthquake and proposed restrictions to only those
> organizations that are equivalent to what you list in 5.2 of the
> proposal, there is no existing objection that would survive.
>    * Yes there are at least 2 TLDs (.bank and .pharmacy) that have
> VERY strict requirements. So strict that some organizations have
> complained because although they are accredited to be a bank of
> pharmacy in their home country, they still may not be eligible
> because of not being up to the standards of the TLD.  .pharmacy for
> example requires extensive checks of regulatory licenses, physical
> inspection of franchisees, etc.  One could argue that these TLDs
> are actually more restrictive than the proposed PICGTLDs.

It has more to do with the rules surrounding content and the INTENT
of the space rather than the restrictions on the criteria for who participate.

>    * You state: "But as I started with, if there is no value to
> what we are proposing, then perhaps the best path is to simply
> forbid such closed TLDs."
>        * That is essentially what the proposal does.  It will not
> allow one organization to apply for a gTLD and only distribute the
> second level names to itself or its members.
>        * An example of a Closed Generic would be .disaster (as
> discussed before) where the International Red Cross applies for the
> string and allocates the names to its affiliates (the national red
> cross organizations) to use for their local disaster relief
> funds.  But I do not see how that would qualify under your proposal.

If the Red Cross chose to apply and included (for example) letters of
support from Medecin Sans Frontiers/Doctors Without Borders, CARE,
India's National Disaster Response Force, and the US Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and also included them in its
governance board, then yes, the Red Cross could apply.

If the Red Cross applied for .disaster and only allowed its own
affiliates to use it, it most certainly would NOT qualify under our
proposal. And the entire intent of our proposal is that if you are
self-serving and presume you are the only game in town for some area,
you are not considering the full range of needs and perspectives to
qualify as serving a public interest goal. Ignoring for the moment
any GNSO policy around the name, that is what .REDCROSS would be for!

>    * But I believe that allowing the .disaster for the
> International Red Cross would serve a public interest goal in
> ensuring that all donations go to where it is supposed to go to
> provide humanitarian relief.

Yes, it would serv "A"* public service goal, but in the mind of those
who helped craft this proposal, not a sufficiently wide one  to
warrant granting them the closed generic!

>I will let the Working Group speak on what this means about allowing
>or not allowing Closed Generics.  Its not up to me.  But this
>proposal is not one that applies to "Closed Generics".

We choose to differ on that.

Alan