[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Current Thinking on Closed Generics

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Jul 27 04:01:04 UTC 2020

As I understand it, Jeff does not see an opportunity for consensus without obtaining further public comment on the issue of Closed Generics.  I believe that by definition, a Closed Generic is one where only the applicant and its strictly defined affiliates may occupy the domains.

The WG has recently been to GNSO Council with a request for a new timeline, which was approved. That is where Jeff is getting his deadline.  I tend to agree with Jeff that:
(a) further discussion by the WG at this time will not achieve consensus
(b) additional public comment on the various proposals (and anything new that comes in during the next week) will better inform further attempts of the WG to achieve consensus.

Regarding the discussion on the public interest, I don’t think every gTLD is required to serve the public interest.  There is a general assumption (which may be questioned of course) that competition is fostered by the program generally and that this will inure to the benefit of consumers.  The topic of Closed Generics serving a public interest is a separate one entirely, due to standing GAC Consensus Advice.

Personally, and certainly not speaking on behalf of the IPC, I don’t think a long discussion about why the Board should override GAC Advice is a good use of our time.  Nor do I think the proposal from the small group led by George is actually a proposal for a Closed Generic.  It appears to me to be more of a proposal that is community and/or eligibility based.

For the above reasons and subject to Monday’s discussion, I support Jeff’s proposed approach to the issue for purposes of the draft Final Report.
Anne