[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Additional thoughts on Proposal 5 and on Closed Generics

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Mon Jul 27 21:24:22 UTC 2020

Hi all,
I just want to point out that it is possible the Board could approve a next round while prohibiting certain practices in relation to policy issues as to which we have a “lack of consensus”.  This morning Jeff pointed out that we make recommendations and it’s up to GNSO Council to determine whether they will follow them or not.  He said this in the context of GNSO Council replacing the WG deliberations and recommendations on the constitution of the SPIRT.  His point was that despite the deliberations on the constitution of the SPIRIT, it is possible that Council will elect to restrict the participants to a smaller, more select group.  (Some in the WG have pushed for this all along despite the public comment in favor of a “Standing IRT”.)

In relation to the context of “ultimate authority”, I note that in the EPDP Phase I, the ICANN Board approved implementation of all the EPDP recommendations except one.  The point here is that while we in the WG have relied on the default position in relation to several issues, the Board is not required to follow the GNSO Council recommendation as to what constitutes the default position in relation to either the String Contention Private Resolution process or the issue of Closed Generics.  Under the ByLaws, it takes a 2/3 vote of the directors to overturn GNSO Council recommendations, but the Board could simply prohibit both or allow both by the votes of each director acting in his/her fiduciary capacity in relation to the Core Values.  The Board could even delay the entire program until these major policy issues are resolved.  (ICANN’s 5 year plan has NO new gTLD revenues figured into the plus side of the budget.)

On the call this morning, there were several comments about the “default position” for the contentious issues as to Private Resolution of Contention Sets and as to Closed Generics.  It was stated that the default position for private resolution is that it’s permitted, but this does not take into account the Board’s comment on this matter.  In the Closed Generics discussion, there were also lots of arguments presented that the “default position” ought to be that they are allowed.

In the same sense that GNSO Council is not bound by our recommendations, neither is the Board bound by what the WG and the Council think is the “default position”.  So the bottom line is it’s important for us to seek the compromise positions Jeff is urging rather than backing into the extreme corners.  If we don’t, we face another big “bottleneck” at the Board level since we know already that these are issues of concern to the Board.  (I still don’t think there is anything that prohibits an application for the model that George and his group have proposed.  It’s not a Closed Generic.  And I don’t think the proposal by Kurt et al is realistic because it ignores standing GAC Advice.)

Accordingly, I look forward to Jeff’s proposed model for Closed Generics and I look forward to changes that need to be made to Model 5 for Private Resolution of String Contention in order for the WG to reach compromises that have a better chance of making it through to both GNSO Council level action and Board level action.

This morning’s discussion on Private Resolution of String Contention was very focused on brands.  One business model for a major player might say go ahead and file for the .brand for a lot of the brands you sell and then offer them lots of services associated with running the TLD.  This would be a good faith application for sure and would at least get you to the negotiating table with the trademark holder, who likely does not want to file an LRO (complainants generally don’t win) but who also likely does not want to lose out on having its own TLD.

So based on the concerns expressed by Paul and Susan, maybe the resolution of the issues relative to required disclosures in the case of private resolution of string contention sets should be different for .brands than for other types of TLDs.

In this regard, Phil’s question about tracing each separate type of application through the process would likely be useful.
Anne