[Gnso-newgtld-wg] proposed Language for those Getting Applicant Support

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Jun 10 12:10:25 UTC 2020

Obviously the entire “flipping” issue (and hence measures against it) depends very much on the way we grant applicant support – and to whom.

I lost track; but do we enforce a connection between applicant entity and string? E.g.: an applicant from a country applying for their own language community? Or would we also support an applicant who just happens to be incorporated in a country that we deem worthy of support, but they could apply for commercial strings like .app or .shop?

If the latter; then I tend to not support Marc’s otherwise very intelligent solution – that the applicant has to repay the support if they sell the registry. Because if you manage to win a string that has a huge secondary market value – and you have flipped it to a third party: paying back applicant support is your least concern as you are flush with cash.

If we haven’t established the limitations (policies) around application support eligibility – then in my mind this entire discussion is essentially fruitless. Currently  “2.5.4 Applicant Support” states:

“ICANN may put in place a fee reduction scheme for gTLD applicants from economies classified by the UN as least developed.”.

Oh well. So I find a couple of straw men in an underdeveloped country, rent an office, staff it with 2 (for almost zero cost as everything is inexpensive in that country, especially outside big cities), that “company” then outsources the application process to a U.S. “consultancy” (all quotation marks to highlight that they are only “so called”) – and that’s all you need to get applicant support and an auction multiplier? The consultancy might be the real beneficiary – but nobody knows: officially they are just the consultancy. Conveniently in these countries often ownership can be easily shielded from being identified (try to identify the owner of a company in a tax haven: good luck).

Instead of trying to fix this via policing efforts that investigate after the fact; why not creating eligibility criteria that will eliminate potential fraud right away? So my question is: would we want to grant applicant support for high value generic strings that have no association to the applicant’s community (example of association would be: geo, language, culture, etc)? In other words: shouldn’t we restrict applicant support to strings that are tied to the respective community? A tribe applying for their language. A city community applying for their city in their country?

In 2012 a lot of applicants artificially established their headquarters in countries which they have zero affiliation with. We don’t even have to fantasize of applicants sitting in the U.S. – but acting as company incorporated in tax havens: that happened already in 2012. With lots of strings.

Who would support to formulate the eligibility criteria in a way that there isn’t any incentive to abuse the applicant support program?

THANKS,

Alexander