[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Jeff & Cheryl- an urgent reply would be appreciated / RE: Package 6

McGrady, Paul D. PMcGrady at taftlaw.com
Tue Jun 30 19:59:57 UTC 2020

Thanks Jeff.  No, it doesn’t help because when we last spoke about this topic on the calls you specifically said that we would schedule more time for this topic.

[cid:image003.jpg at 01D64EEF.1C9CB2B0]

See https://icann.zoom.us/rec/play/tJYkf7it-j03S4DH4gSDA6d7W9S0fK6shHUer6AMzUzgAHcEM1quY7sXM7OLa5zBPzCtOdYuHPk50nwl

To now learn, with essentially zero time left on Package 6 that you and Cheryl have decided to shut down the conversation is very disturbing.  I implore you to excise the so-called “Closed Generics” from Package 6, have the additional phone call promised, and then let’s put it into a future package for review.   I simply see no upside to the co-chairs shutting down dialogue on this very important topic, especially using the highly controversial (and no where in the GNSO procedures) “can’t live with” mechanism.

An urgent reply, since your clock is ticking, would be greatly appreciated.  In the event that you will not do so, this is my notice that I “cannot live with” Package 6 since the process for Closed Generics is warped (in fact, there appears to be no process, only an ad hoc mechanism that has been effectuated prior to discussion ending).  Thanks Jeff!

Best,
Paul