[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed Agenda - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WG - Thursday, 21 May at 03:00 UTC for 90 Minutes

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue May 26 01:56:06 UTC 2020

	Hi All,

	I'll second Anne's note that the "language in the middle of the chart
does not seem accurate."  My concern is that that, to paraphrase
Paul, the SPIRT is being treated as a mini-GNSO or even (my words) a
supra-GNSO. I actually think the wording is not to hard to mend -- and
the chart is fixable -- but only with clear qualification (and word
changes) to show what we already agreed after extensive weeks of
discussion: that the SPIRT does not make policy and does not change
the way GNSO policy is made.

	Right now, by the report and the chart, all roads lead to SPIRT, and
unless the SPIRT opines then nothing happens on policy issues. But
that's not our Multistakeholder process.

	The idea that all "Issues identified as type C, D and E would
generally speaking be expected to be referred to the SPIRT" [middle
chart, GNSO Council row] can't be right. This is because D and E are
"possible policy level changes." Clearly the GNSO Council can share
issues with the SPIRT -- for insight and input -- but this call for
the GNSO Council to send everything involving gTLDs to SPIRT to
consider first and foremost is misplaced. The GNSO Council can develop
policy issue as it sees fit per its rules - and there are several
possible paths.

	The hold of the SPIRT over gTLD policy is further confirmed in the
next part of the chart:

	"However, the GNSO Council may elect to refrain from forwarding an
issue to the SPIRT. A non-exhaustive list includes:

	- The Council does not agree that the issue requires resolution.

	- The Council believes an issue is unambiguously a policy issue."

	==>  All, this is getting close to a "pure policy test."
Specifically, the test seems to be that only if the new gTLD issue is
"purely policy" does the SPIRT not get the first or major word on the
issue.  In our world, however, virtually nothing is purely policy
because we are a technical policy community -- even RPMs (as close to
pure policy as you can get) have considerable technical and
operational elements.

	That's D and E (see chart below my signature). But even "C" is a
problem -- major operational issues -- "new process [or significant
change to internal processes]" -- can introduce changes and
implications for already-decided policy; these implications may be not
be clear or obvious and, in many cases, should be reviewed widely --
among users and contracted parties. For example, significant changes
to the Trademark Clearinghouse could have enormous intended (and
unintended) implications for policy and impact on the wide and varied
set of users and contracted parties who rely on it.  As many initial
processes were created by the Community, and reviewed by the
Community, so too should changes along the way be evaluated by the
whole community -- that's a GNSO process.  SPIRT may be an input, but
should only be one of many.

	The Predictability Framework can be fixed; it will take some key
wording change to re-sets the wording to our carefully-negotiated
agreement of some months ago (and not one all agreed to).

	This way, we can prevent SPIRT from becoming a mini-GNSO or
supra-GNSO.

	Best, Kathy

	p.s. from SubPro report text: C, D and E

	C - Operational - new process [or significant change to internal
process]

	D - Possible policy level changes

	E - Possible policy level new proposals