[Gnso-newgtld-wg] ICANN's Ability to Act (Without Using Predictability Model)

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Mon Nov 2 00:38:26 UTC 2020

Thanks All.

Rubens and Justine are right in that we are not talking here about the security and stability of the DNS.  We are talking about the Application systems themselves.   If the Application System is down, or the system to file comments or objections, etc., yes applicants and the applicable system users (commenters, objectors) would be impacted.  But the everyday Internet user who doesn’t even know or care about who ICANN and IANA are will not be affected even in the slightest.

Therefore, this would not be an Empowered Community thing.  Plus, if you look at the difference between the wording of what ICANN Org stated (notice it was not the ICANN Board that stated this in their comments, but rather the Organization), it was to reserve the right to unilaterally take any action “related to security and stability as well as the proper functioning of systems” without going through the Predictability Model.  They don’t state the proper functioning of the “Internet Systems” which Anne rewrites below, but just of the “systems” themselves [referring to application systems].

That is an important distinction.

So, for those trying to keep track, the proposal is to add the following:

“With respect to its operation and administration of the systems, ICANN must retain the ability to act in emergency situations, including those where immediate action is necessary to remedy any service interruption, interference, service obstruction or other imminent threat to the systems; provided that ICANN provides notice to all impacted users of the affected system(s) as soon as reasonably practicable after such action has been taken along, and if such action involves any downtime to the system(s), it shall provide updates to impacted users as to when normal service can be restored.”

[cid:image001.png at 01D6B086.91824BF0]
Jeffrey J. Neuman
Founder & CEO
JJN Solutions, LLC