[Gnso-newgtld-wg] Proposed edits to Recommendation 9.1 re: Category 1 Safeguards

Levine, Gertrude glevine at nabp.pharmacy
Mon Nov 16 21:33:47 UTC 2020

Hi all,

In last Thursday's SubPro meeting, we discussed Topic 9: Category 1 Safeguards - in particular, Recommendation 9.1, which reads, in part, as follows: "Mandatory Public Interest Commitments (PICs) currently captured in Specification 11 3(a)-(d) of the Registry Agreement must continue to be included in Registry Agreements for gTLDs in subsequent procedures. ..."

The section in question was Specification 11 3(a):

Specification 11 3(a)-(d):

3. Registry Operator agrees to perform the following specific public interest commitments, which commitments shall be enforceable by ICANN and through the Public Interest Commitment Dispute Resolution Process . . .

(a) Registry Operator will include a provision in its Registry-Registrar Agreement that requires Registrars to include in their Registration Agreements a provision prohibiting Registered Name Holders from distributing malware, abusively operating botnets, phishing, piracy, trademark or copyright infringement, fraudulent or deceptive practices, counterfeiting or otherwise engaging in activity contrary to applicable law, and providing (consistent with applicable law and any related procedures) consequences for such activities including suspension of the domain name.

As we discussed in the meeting, Specification 11 3(a) as currently written falls short of its intended purpose, protecting end users. It is therefore necessary to revise Specification 11 3(a) to hold new TLDs that are subject to Category 1 Safeguards accountable for their registrants' contractual compliance with those safeguards. Existing TLDs could be grandfathered as exempt from the Specification 11 3(a) revision.

It seems there was some interest among the working group members to further explore this idea.

I would propose changing Recommendation 9.1 in the final report to add the underlined text below:
"Mandatory Public Interest Commitments (PICs) currently captured in Specification 11 3(a)-(d) of the Registry Agreement must continue to be included in Registry Agreements for gTLDs in subsequent procedures." In addition, Specification 11 3(a) should be revised to hold new TLDs that are subject to Category 1 Safeguards accountable for their registrants' contractual compliance with those safeguards. Existing TLDs could be grandfathered as exempt from the Specification 11 3(a) revision.

I'd be interested to hear others' thoughts.

Thanks,
Gg

Gertrude "Gg" Levine
Digital Health Manager
847/391-4497
[cid:image002.png at 01D6BC2D.DF198470]National Association of Boards of Pharmacy
1600 Feehanville Dr, Mount Prospect, IL 60056
www.nabp.pharmacy<http://www.nabp.pharmacy/>  |  glevine at nabp.pharmacy<mailto:glevine at nabp.pharmacy>
[cid:image003.png at 01D6BC2D.DF198470]<https://www.facebook.com/NABP1904/>
[cid:image004.png at 01D6BC2D.DF198470]<https://twitter.com/nabp>
[cid:image005.png at 01D6BC2D.DF198470]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/national-association-of-boards-of-pharmacy/>